Forget Zones...

It seems like a day never goes by without someone on social media sites that I am a member of giving advice about what to plant - and it almost always starts with a question regarding "what zone are you in"............ I despise this type of planting advice. Today, I planted yet another of my very favorite native trees, silky camelia (Stewartia malacodendron), and I challenge the zone people to tell me that I am wrong.
Over the years, I have planted a great many native plants in my landscape that are not in my zone. I think they are basically meaningless as guidelines to creating a home landscape. If I was in the process of restoring a natural community to my yard, it would be a different matter, but I am not. I am creating a living landscape in my tiny suburban lot and I am doing that by maximizing diversity. At the same time, I am adding plants that bring me joy as much as I am adding those that have wildlife value. Silky camelias are one of the most beautiful Florida native trees and I want one near me. Simple as that.
If our goal is to add life to our landscapes, it seems to me most important to add species capable of performing their ecological functions without the addition of valuable resources such as water and without a special need for additional fertilizer. It goes without saying that they should not require pesticides and fungicides to ward off pest problems.
What this means to me is that we should be selecting plants based on their ecological attributes and shunning those that aren't adapted to our growing site. None of that is really translates into "growing zone." Since moving here, I've added three species of native azaleas. None of them occur naturally in Pasco County or in whatever zone I am living in. I've planted three native viburnums, at least 7 species of hawthorns, two species of silverbells, and others that I've used before in other landscapes well out of their zone. I do not have an irrigation system so they do not get additional water once they are firmly established. I mulch with leaf litter and that feeds my soil and tempers the surface temperature. So far, the only woody plant that has perished is a bumelia (Sideroxylon lanuginosa) that is native to my region. Why it persihed, I have no idea, but it wasn't because it wasn't native to my "zone." I will try it again. As we design our landscapes, we should first consider the attributes of the plants we want to add. We next should consider whether we can provide the right microclimate where we intend to plant them and last, we should make sure that what we select will bring us joy. The latter is nearly as important as the others in my opinion. If you are not sure about the growing requirements, consult with those who have grown it. After that, purchase one or several and give it a try. What is the worst thing that could happen? If it dies, try it again in a different growing spot with different conditions. I have killed nearly as many plants suitable for my zone as I have those outside of it. Do not limit yourself for no good purpose. Have some fun and add plants within arm's length that put a smile on your face.
A newly planted silky camelia (Stewartia malacodendron)            

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wildflower Meadows - The Importance of Grasses

The Ethics of Collecting Seed

A Pollinator Garden is More than Wildflowers