Winter is a great time to Plant (in Florida, that is)

Fall color in Fothergilla gardenii - False witchalder
I am often asked about when the best time to plant is. To be honest, the best time is usually now. Most of us know the adage about when the best time to plant a tree is - 10 years ago. Second best time is now. So, as we cannot yet journey back in time, we've only got today to work with.
All that said, I do not like to plant from March through early June here in Florida. It is simply too hot and the chance of rain is at its lowest. Soils get dry and they are often difficult to keep moist without frequent and deep watering. Planting after the summer rains arrive, avoids the problem of soil moisture, but it doesn't circumvent the fact that plants are trying to actively grow and their water needs are great. New plants need time to develop a mature root system and that is not easy during the heat of summer. That leaves early winter.
Today, I finally found some time to plant a few things that have been in pots these past couple of months. I needed time to fully decide where I would plant them, but I've also been waiting for this dip in temperature. With this "chill", they are going dormant. There is no need to support above-ground foliage that would be rapidly transpiring if this had been summer. The roots can adjust to their new home without the burden of keeping the foliage alive. The soil is reasonably moist as well. It is normal to get a bit of rain on a weekly basis and the lower temperatures don't dry the upper foot or so out in between the showers as it would in summer.
Plants native to your region are not too tender to plant should a frost occur. They are adapted to it - newly planted or well established. I also sow my wildflower seed during these months. Native wildflowers shed their seeds most often during the late fall. They do not wait until the danger of frost has passed. These are not vegetable gardens that we're dealing with. Over the years, I have found that my seedlings are less apt to suffer damage to their foliage during a frost than their parents. Some, need the winter chill before they will germinate. They can't get this if you wait until spring to sow them. If I were still living in Wisconsin, I would not be planting in the dead of winter....., but I'm in Florida. If you live in the deep south, plant now and let them adjust during these relatively easier months.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wildflower Meadows - The Importance of Grasses

The Ethics of Collecting Seed

A Pollinator Garden is More than Wildflowers