Winter Fruit for Birds

Red-bellied woodpecker and marlberry (Ardisia escallonoides). Photo by Christina Evans by permission
As I've written previously, my developing landscape includes mostly deciduous trees and shrubs for birds. The flowers produced by these plants are significant for pollinators, a few serve as host plants, and nearly every one of them produces fruit for birds. Birds need invertebrates to raise their young, but a great many of them also rely on seeds and small fruit. Even insect-eating birds, like woodpeckers, will use fruit at certain times of the year. The high energy of invertebrates is required for the growth of nestlings, but fruit is an integral part of most adult birds' adult diets. That is especially true at times of the year when invertebrates are especially hard to find.
Most invertebrates, even here in central Florida where I reside, are dormant in the winter. Some can be found under the bark of "shaggy" barked trees and beneath leaf litter, but fruit is easier to access. Nearly every bird that visits my yard in the winter is more than willing to feast on fruit. That means that my landscape has to have it ready for them.
Many plants produce fruit in the late summer and fall, but many of those also drop to the ground if it is not consumed before winter. Plants like beautyberry (Callicarpa americana) produce copious amounts of bird food, but it generally doesn't last long on the plant. I just don't have room for beautyberry as good a wildlife plant as it is. I've designed my landscape with other species.

Littlehip haw (Crataegus spathulata)

Yaupon holly (Ilex vomitoria)
What I like best are plants that hold their fruit well into winter. The fruit also has to be small enough for even the smallest songbirds that might visit. I love haws (Crataegus spp.) for the beauty they provide, but the best wildlife ones are littlehip and parsley haw (C. spathulata and C. marshallii) because their fruit are tiny, bright red, and remain on the trees until spring if they are not eaten. Hollies, like the yaupon (I. vomitoria) in the above photo are also excellent. I find that the fruit of hollies are rarely eaten right away, but always disappear before spring. Robins and cedar waxwings seem to especially relish them - often feasting heavily just prior to spring migration. I fantasize that holly fruit is not particularly tasty to these birds or it would be eaten sooner. It must be vital, however, as flocks of these birds seem to return year after year - seemingly using their memories about where to find it.

American holly (Ilex opaca)
Trees and shrubs to use in a living landscape, requires us to consider birds during the winter and that consideration has to include small fruit. Pollinators love these plants during their spring blooming season as well. A pollinator garden is not equivalent to a wildflower meadow. Many of the wildflowers I've added to my "meadow" in the front yard are not in bloom in the very early spring, though I've added a few. What sustains my pollinators are the blooming trees and shrubs. They, of course, are not created equal. Some are virtual magnets. Hollies, haws and other members of the rose family, viburnums, and privets (Forestiera spp.) are especially good.
Design a living landscape for all of the life dependent on you. To do that, choose plants for their ecological contribution. Diversity is the most significant thing you can do. Ignore adding species that are in your next-door neighbors' yards as they are already present. Choose something else. That might mean looking around a bit for just the right plant, but I think that's worth it in the long run. Your wildlife will also.

Florida privet (Forestiera segregata) is a pollinator magnet in the very early spring and its fruit are ready in late spring when very few other fruiting trees and shrubs have ripe fruit for the birds.

Comments

  1. Wonderful! Saw many birds feasting on berries today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you know, Craig, I have been making a concerted effort to convert my 1 acre yard into a native plant habitat particularly attractive to bird since I am a long time "birder" I recently planted 40 dahoon hollies after observing birds flying from my cross vine to a few nearby mature dahoon hollies seeking cover everytime I walk out my front door and spook them. A big reason why I used native shrubs and trees- they love the the cover. I have many Walter's viburnum and many dwarf yaupon holly as a foundation planting. And every spring the cedar waxwings fly in for a few days to strip the berries off my American holly and then they're off on their way north. I only plant a few native wildflowers(cause I'm lazy), but I have almost all the native vines to attract hummingbirds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice article. Other winter bird hits in my yard have been dahoon holly and wax myrtle. Fall migrating monarchs cover Baccharius halimifolia. It must also attract tiny insects because I find warblers and kinglets attracted to it in winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your article. I'm learning more about Florida native plants as time goes on and trying to get my yard as full of them as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this informative article. I have many pollinator and butterfly plants and a few shrubs. This article has given me ideas for other shrubs to add to my living fence at the back of my yard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't planted anything specifically with birds in mind but they seem to enjoy the different seed mixes I put out along with suet packets. I have put out pieces of blueberries and oranges along with other fruit but haven't noticed much interest. Are there any fruits we humans enjoy that birds would also enjoy if they were cut up such as apples, oranges, papaya, pineapple?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am interested to know of any plants that are hosts to butterflies and also provide fruit for birds. I have full sun, full shade, and partial shade on my property. Molly Hays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's probably a super dumb question since it would be counter productive for the caterpillars at best. Molly Hays

      Delete
  8. Molly - Good questions. First, your second one: In what I call a living landscape, we let nature take care of most everything and we insert ourselves only when necessary. My butterfly and moth plants serve 2 purposes -for them and for the birds, as in nature. The birds don't get every one and the caterpillars are a vital food source.
    Second: there are a number of woody plants that produce good bird fruit and are butterfly hosts. Here's a few that come to mind: 1. Sweetbay magnolia 2. Black cherry 3. Oaks

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wildflower Meadows - The Importance of Grasses

The Ethics of Collecting Seed

A Pollinator Garden is More than Wildflowers