To Garden Is To Have Hope

Giant swallowtail caterpillar

Gardeners are the world's greatest optimists. In my life, I have been called a great many things, but rarely an optimist. I beg to differ. With so much negativity swirling around us these days, it takes a real optimist to purposely plant a landscape and to do so to foster the rest of the living world. The cynics would mock such efforts as being a waste of time and energy. After all, what is the point when the world is only going to crash and burn regardless? The optimist in me tells me to ignore them and plant. We can choose to be impotent or not. If the world is really going to crash and burn, I am going down fighting it - not sitting on my couch cowering.

I rent this home and its concomitant property. Some question (nicely, for the most part) my sanity for investing so much time and passion into a landscape that I do not own. As I tell them, the energy I have put into this has more than paid for itself by what it has given back. Creating a living landscape around me is not tied to my owing it. That is superfluous to the effort. It's about creating life in an area largely devoid of it. It's a reciprocity to the natural world for what it's given me all of these years. In a life filled with mostly taking, it is an effort to give something back in return, and it has enriched my life at least as much as it has provided conditions for the life of other things.

No landscape is truly permanent, whether we "own" it or not. I've just signed my lease for another year here. I hope to finish my days in this landscape, watching the changes that occur, but I may not. For that, I'm a realist, but for the years that I do have here, my gardening efforts provide me endless fascination. I have watched the changes that have occurred - the arrival of bumblebees, hummingbirds, and butterfly caterpillars and I realize how powerful a single effort can be in changing the world around us.

Many of the caterpillars that have been produced in my landscape die. They become food for birds, anoles or wasps. I do not protect them from that. Birds, anoles and wasps need to eat also. If a landscape is truly to be part of the natural world, it needs to be managed that way. I think we, as a species, have meddled enough. Perhaps it's time to just let go and simply be part of nature instead of a demigod - choosing which parts will prosper and which should perish. Last night as I was sitting in my chair in the backyard, contemplating the universe as I often say, a blue-grey gnatcatcher landed in the water dropwort patch behind me and picked off the eastern black swallowtail caterpillars that were busy growing up feeding on it. Part of me was dismayed to lose them as the butterfly is gorgeous and I planted the water dropwort to help generate more of them. The other part of me, however, was thrilled that perhaps a new brood of gnatcatchers would be fed because of my caterpillars and the plant choices I made. Such threads in a food web would not have been possible when I moved here 2 years ago. The fact that this is being played out now is extremely satisfying to me.

We add layers to the living world, the web of life, with each passing year and with the plants we add. We do this best by planting in a purposeful manner; not by letting things "pop up", but by choosing the plant community that will share our space and then by mostly standing back and letting nature take its course. Nature has more than a billion years of experience in managing a landscape. I'll trust it to make (most of) the right decisions once I've put the pieces in place.

Comments

  1. I, too, struggle with seeing birds eating the caterpillars but like you I realize that everything is food for something else. (But I still don't like the squirrels hogging all of the beautyberries and leaving nothing for the birds, LOL.) I am slowly removing turf and adding native plants as I can and like you have seen an increase in the number of pollinators and birds in my yard. So much so that my neighbors comment on it! Thank you for writing this blog, it brings me solace on many days in this chaotic world we live in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me smile as I just watched a big bunch of hummingbirds fighting over the feeder literally knocking themselves all over the place. I wondered if the hurricane had put so many in a frenzy for the sustenance they needed. And maybe going a few days with it hard to get any. I remerked to my husband that if they just realized there was plenty and shared...but, that's not the way it works..is it? Some of our flowers probably first brought them into our yard. The other birds and butterflies seemed to all be out feeding, too. Such a beautiful world. Thank you for the optimism. I sure need it every day now.❤❤

    ReplyDelete
  3. This makes me smile as I just watched a big bunch of hummingbirds fighting over the feeder literally knocking themselves all over the place. I wondered if the hurricane had put so many in a frenzy for the sustenance they needed. And maybe going a few days with it hard to get any. I remerked to my husband that if they just realized there was plenty and shared...but, that's not the way it works..is it? Some of our flowers probably first brought them into our yard. The other birds and butterflies seemed to all be out feeding, too. Such a beautiful world. Thank you for the optimism. I sure need it every day now.❤❤

    ReplyDelete
  4. I struggled all spring and early summer this year not to interfere with nature as I watched so many monarch, gulf fritillaries, zebra longwing and swallowtail caterpillars get taken by wasps in my garden - I literally had to sit on hands at times so I wouldn't get up and interfere!). By doing so, it was even more rewarding (and awe-inspiring) when occasionally I'd find a caterpillar that defied the odds and successfully turned into a butterfly. That butterfly had the survival to make it, and pass those genes on to the next generation. I can provide the resources for the butterflies with habitat, but I can't play God and interfere with nature - just hope for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, optimists here. We garden on a SoFla barrier island, lots of natives and a few other things. In full knowledge that at some point it will all be annihilated. And we live uninsured in a slab on grade home - Never flooded since built in the 60's (in an area called "Highlands" lol - 3' above sea level) but its time will come, I'm sure. While some neighbors get nearly hysterical every time a bad storm threatens, I sort of like the nearness of "the edge", i.e. the reminder that nature will have its way no matter what. Of course, we don't have children either, so no legacy to pass on - and we will be quite content to disappear. We do join the fight, though, against "crashing and burning".

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wildflower Meadows - The Importance of Grasses

Water & Watering

The Ethics of Collecting Seed