Barriers

Barriers are a thing all of us must deal with throughout our lives. Some barriers are forced upon us but far too many are ones we put on ourselves. This is especially true for those of us that desire to go beyond the norm as it relates to our landscapes. Homeowner Association rules and local ordinances often limit us in our landscaping creativity, but it's our fear of our neighbors or our need to not stick out too far that often holds us back For years, I've been trying, mostly unsuccessfully, to rid the world of the concept of a "backyard wildlife habitat."  I loathe the term with a passion because it insinuates that we should hide it beyond the view of our neighbors and passersby.  If I could, I'd create an alternative group with signs for their "front yard" and "side yard" wildlife landscapes. Truth be told, it is far easier to simply realize that all of our property, no matter how small, needs to be brought into the equation and made useful for the rest of the living world.
Our need for green manicured turf is a disease that we should be inoculated against in early childhood. It would make us immune to those heinous television adds where adult men are comparing their testosterone levels against each other based on how green and dense their grass is. They "pound" their bags of turf builder as body builders sculpt their muscles and the ones with the most "built up" lawns are seemingly those who get crowneds king of the neighborhood. All that's left to our imaginations is "who gets the girl.........."
Across this nation, and I expect a good many others, homeowner associations and local building ordinances require that a sizable percentage of one's yard be composed of turf. In some places, an occupancy permit for a new house will not be given until the turf has been installed and demonstrated to be thriving. Our need for a good lawn has become a deep-seated phobia not based on any reality. There are uses for turf, of course, but almost no instance where turf needs to be universal across our landscape.  Even the term "yard" is synonymous with turf to most people. It shouldn't be so.
My developing wildflower garden is in the front yard where everyone can see it. Each day, I've whittled away at the grass inside and today I completed edging it around the entire perimeter and stabilized the landscape timbers so they won't shift.  I have very few plants to add here at this time as I am growing them now in my backyard wildflower nursery and the seedlings will be too small until April. I have time to plan.
I've successfully overcome one barrier by placing this in the front, but I have acquiesced to another by framing it with timbers that separates the "wild" portion of my landscape from the "civilized" one. Frankly, I'm still testing my limits here in this rental home and with my new neighbors. Over the years, I have found that this simple solution placates most people who don't truly understand my goals and objectives. I have softened this edge a bit by planting woody plants just outside the frame and keeping the area between the frame and these plants free of turf. For the time being, I will continue to mow the grass. There's just far less of it than when I moved in.

Comments

  1. I always draw a mental picture of Edward Scissorhands' front yards when I read the word 'turf' (I rarely use that word as English is not my native language and to me everything is simply grass, which evoques a more benign mental picture). I wonder if that mental image is what prompted me to go against the grain early on and why I sought to live in non-deed restricted properties. I am fortunate today to live in a house which gives me almost 100% freedom to do whatever I want. My only restriction was psychological: my neighbors. Because I was the 'new kid on the block', we were slow to change the status quo but it's changed, alright!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your personal experiences and congratulations on making your landscape alive

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wildflower Meadows - The Importance of Grasses

The Ethics of Collecting Seed

A Pollinator Garden is More than Wildflowers