We Are Stardust

We are intrinsically connected to nature. Our very molecules have passed through millions of other creatures since being released from the rock that composed the original earth. We know that from knowing the First Law of Thermodynamics - that matter is neither created nor destroyed. It just gets passed around a lot. I believe that our deep-seated need to reconnect to nature comes from the fact that we are all made of the same materials and we've all been part of every other life form sometime in the earth's history. As Joni Mitchell wrote in her song, Woodstock, 'We are stardust, we are golden and we want to get back to the garden."  We find our way back to where we truly belong when we connect to the natural world, and for me that often is a garden. In these times of "social distancing", I find even more connection to my place in this great web of life through my landscape. I'm an introvert by nature, so having "distance" is not so overwhelming to me, but I find that I have even more hours to fill than I am accustomed to. There are no lectures to give to college students, no talks to prepare for environmental groups and very few nature-oriented businesses I can stop by to make a purchase. I've stocked up, for example, on bird food as that type of business and that kind of outing is now considered "nonessential". 
I connect with myself at least when I am in my landscape and I get a chance to see that the rest of the world does not consider me essential. Life goes on all around me now that my plants are growing into their second year. I've been watching at least a dozen species of native bees visit my flowers this past week. It seems like with each passing day more are waking up from their long winter nap. The butterflies too are back. Where I had not much more than Gulf fritillaries a few weeks ago, I now have documented more than a dozen species over the past few days. Some have remained long enough to try to start a new family.
My bird feeders and bath have become a focal part of the overall neighborhood. I realize that all of these birds survived on their own before I ever put this feeder up, but they have now incorporated it into their daily routines. It has been my gauge in better understanding which species are living around me. I've found that I now have far more than I first suspected. The feeder has taught me, for example, that I have catbirds and not just cardinals and common grackles.
As I work and explore my landscape, it is easy to see that the rest of life is politely ignoring me. As life circles around me outdoors I have come to realize that my place is not as important as I imagined it to be.  It is true that I had a hand in creating this landscape and true that I could easily destroy it by burying it back in sod or gravel like my neighbors do, but the truth of the matter is that I had no hand in creating this life that is now around me. It was already out there and it was waiting like it always has for me to reconnect to it. I am thankful that the rest of life has not given up on me. I need that connection now more than ever.

Comments

  1. Beautiful words. I find great comfort in nature and in knowing that I am part of it, but not the most important part. Stay safe and healthy. Thank you for bringing beauty and comfort to your readers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wildflower Meadows - The Importance of Grasses

Water & Watering

The Ethics of Collecting Seed